Fresh Blackberry Cobbler Recipe
“I love this recipe because I’m not super-confident about making pies," says Tonda Powell of McGehee, Arkansas, "but anyone can make a cobbler—and this one is truly delicious! It can be baking in the oven while you finish dinner…also great with blueberries or raspberries.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir in blackberries and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar; cut in shortening until crumbly. Add milk; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto hot fruit.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (calculated without ice cream) equals 262 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 306 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC