Fresh Blackberry Cobbler Recipe
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir in blackberries and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar; cut in shortening until crumbly. Add milk; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto hot fruit.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Fresh Blackberry Cobbler
Sort By :
"I used buttermilk, great easy recipe!!"
"This is a very good and easy to prepare recipe! Only thing I noticed was that the actual cobbler is quite tart without added ice cream to complement the tartness."
"I have made this recipe several times using frozen blackberries I home grow. They cook up just like fresh. My church family ask for my cobbler every special dinner we have. This recipe is easy, I do lightly roll out the dough and cut it in equal pieces then lay them on the hot berry mixture. I like the uniform look it makes better than the drop pieces. I also lightly sprinkle granulated sugar on top of the dough before I bake it, it adds just a nice sparkle."
"This was so simply and very good! Would differently make this again!"
"very simple and quick to make, I would recomend this to anyone from beginners to advanced cooks/bakers!"