- For shortcakes, combine the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder,
- orange peel and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse
- crumbs. Whisk 1-1/2 cups cream, egg, egg yolk and vanilla; add to
- flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly
- floured surface; gently knead 8-10 times.
- Pat or roll out to 1-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in.
- scalloped or round biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on a parchment
- paper-lined baking sheet. Brush tops with 1 tablespoon cream;
- sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired. Bake at 400° for 15-18
- minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- For whipped cream, beat cream in a large bowl until it begins to
- thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks
- Just before serving, cut shortcakes in half horizontally. Place
- bottoms on dessert plates; top with strawberry mixture. Replace
- tops; dollop with whipped cream. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 shortcake with 1/2 cup berries and 1/3 cup whipped cream equals 664 calories, 44 g fat (27 g saturated fat), 190 mg cholesterol, 346 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.