- 5 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Coarse sugar, optional
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar and orange juice; set aside.
- For shortcakes, combine the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, orange peel and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk 1-1/2 cups cream, egg, egg yolk and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 8-10 times.
- Pat or roll out to 1-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. scalloped or round biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush tops with 1 tablespoon cream; sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- For whipped cream, beat cream in a large bowl until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form.
- Just before serving, cut shortcakes in half horizontally. Place bottoms on dessert plates; top with strawberry mixture. Replace tops; dollop with whipped cream. Yield: 10 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Fresh Berry Shortcakes
"Better than any shortcake I've ever had."
"People that don't know how to cook or use a computer should not have access to the reviewing system. This recipe was AMAZING."
"I tried this recipe a few times, and though it was a very tasty recipe, I found it to be a bit heavy. Almost cookie like."
"These biscuits are fabulous! The orange zest sets taste to perfection. I liked using cream for moisture, gave it a smooth richness. This one is a keeper!!!"
"This was absolutely delicious! The orange juice mixed with the strawberries and the grated orange peel in the shortcakes brings this classic up a notch. This is best the first day. I halved the recipe and used one egg (rather than trying to half a yolk and half an egg) and it turned out great."
"Wow, wow, WOW! Those shortcakes were inspired. It was easy to make and the perfect finish to our Easter dinner. I took the leftover cakes and topped them in the morning with a vanilla glaze. Perfectly paired with a cup of tea. This is going in my recipe box."
"Was a big hit. Added blueberries and whipped cream to inside halves. Absolutely delicious."