- 5 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Coarse sugar, optional
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar and orange juice; set aside.
- For shortcakes, combine the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, orange peel and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk 1-1/2 cups cream, egg, egg yolk and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 8-10 times.
- Pat or roll out to 1-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. scalloped or round biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush tops with 1 tablespoon cream; sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- For whipped cream, beat cream in a large bowl until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form.
- Just before serving, cut shortcakes in half horizontally. Place bottoms on dessert plates; top with strawberry mixture. Replace tops; dollop with whipped cream. Yield: 10 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Fresh Berry Shortcakes
"I made these last night for my daughter's birthday "cake" - FABULOUS! Everyone agreed that these were well worth the extra effort (as opposed to shortcakes from Bisquick)."
"Better than any shortcake I've ever had."
"People that don't know how to cook or use a computer should not have access to the reviewing system. This recipe was AMAZING."
"I tried this recipe a few times, and though it was a very tasty recipe, I found it to be a bit heavy. Almost cookie like."
"These biscuits are fabulous! The orange zest sets taste to perfection. I liked using cream for moisture, gave it a smooth richness. This one is a keeper!!!"