Fresh Asparagus Quiche Recipe
Once those first fresh asparagus spears sprout up, invite some special friends for a brunch and pull out this recipe. This lovely pie has a hint of Swiss cheese and beautiful green asparagus peeking out of every slice. — Ann Eastman, Greenville, California
- 1 pound fresh aspragus, trimmed
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1. Cut eight asparagus spears into 4-in. pieces; cut remaining spears into 1/2-in. pieces. Cut all of the asparagus in a small amount of water until tender; drain and set aside. line the unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and set aside. in a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; stir in flour and salt. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened. Stir a small amount into eggs; return all to pan. Stir in cheese and 1/2-in. asparagus pieces. pour into crust. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Arrange the 4-in. asparagus pieces in a spoke pattern on top. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 279 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 135 mg cholesterol, 395 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Reviews for Fresh Asparagus Quiche
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC