Fresh Asparagus Quiche Recipe
- 1 pound fresh aspragus, trimmed
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cut eight asparagus spears into 4-in. pieces; cut remaining spears into 1/2-in. pieces. Cut all of the asparagus in a small amount of water until tender; drain and set aside. line the unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and set aside. in a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; stir in flour and salt. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened. Stir a small amount into eggs; return all to pan. Stir in cheese and 1/2-in. asparagus pieces. pour into crust. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Arrange the 4-in. asparagus pieces in a spoke pattern on top. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Fresh Asparagus Quiche
Sort By :
I had some friends over for brunch and made this quiche. Everyone LOVED it!! I did add about an extra cup of swiss cheese though. Even leftovers reheated were very tasty!
This is so good! I like to have a different friend come to brunch once a week, and everyone just raves about the flavor and the beautiful presentation. I slice grape or cherry tomatoes and put one half, cut side down, in between each asparagus rib. So pretty! Thanks for posting, Ann.
I have been making this recipe from my 1998 TOH cookbook for many years. I love the texture of the quiche because the eggs are tempered with the butter, flour, milk mixture after it is thickened. It makes for a much fluffier quiche. I use this as my base for every quiche combination I make...you will too!
I love trying new things with aspargus, this recipe was an instant hit with a fiance who dislikes most vegitables.