- 1 pound fresh aspragus, trimmed
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cut eight asparagus spears into 4-in. pieces; cut remaining spears into 1/2-in. pieces. Cut all of the asparagus in a small amount of water until tender; drain and set aside. line the unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and set aside. in a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; stir in flour and salt. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened. Stir a small amount into eggs; return all to pan. Stir in cheese and 1/2-in. asparagus pieces. pour into crust. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Arrange the 4-in. asparagus pieces in a spoke pattern on top. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Fresh Asparagus Quiche
Sort By :
"I had some friends over for brunch and made this quiche. Everyone LOVED it!! I did add about an extra cup of swiss cheese though. Even leftovers reheated were very tasty!"
"This is so good! I like to have a different friend come to brunch once a week, and everyone just raves about the flavor and the beautiful presentation. I slice grape or cherry tomatoes and put one half, cut side down, in between each asparagus rib. So pretty! Thanks for posting, Ann."
"I love trying new things with aspargus, this recipe was an instant hit with a fiance who dislikes most vegitables."