Fresh as Summer Salad
I wanted a nice light and healthy salad to go with the spicy Mediterranean and Middle Eastern dishes I prepare, and this one fits the bill. Plus, it’s easy to grow some of the ingredients yourself.—Victor Finger, Sunbury, Ohio
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 romaine hearts, torn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, mint, sorrel and/or lemon balm
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans or chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons pistachios
- 3 lemon wedges
- Place romaine in a large bowl; drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
- Add herbs and onions; toss to combine. Whisk the yogurt, lemon juice,
- salt, nutmeg and pepper; add to romaine mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Top with garbanzo beans and
- pistachios. Squeeze lemon wedges over the top. Serve immediately.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 104 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 289 mg sodium,