Fresh as Summer Salad Recipe
I wanted a nice light and healthy salad to go with the spicy Mediterranean and Middle Eastern dishes I prepare, and this one fits the bill. Plus, it’s easy to grow some of the ingredients yourself.—Victor Finger, Sunbury, Ohio
- 2 romaine hearts, torn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, mint, sorrel and/or lemon balm
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans or chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons pistachios
- 3 lemon wedges
- Place romaine in a large bowl; drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
- Add herbs and onions; toss to combine. Whisk the yogurt, lemon juice, salt, nutmeg and pepper; add to romaine mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Top with garbanzo beans and pistachios. Squeeze lemon wedges over the top. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fresh as Summer Salad in Taste of Home June/July 2011, p49
Reviews for Fresh as Summer Salad(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 4, 2011
Loved this salad - always looking for new salad recipes. I used mint and basil and added some roasted beets. I'd also suggest coarsely chopping the pistachios. A great salad.