Fresh Apple Salad Recipe
This salad is a perfect fall dish that always gets rave reviews. I clipped the recipe out of a newspaper years ago. Now I find myself preparing it whenever company is coming over—or anytime that my husband asks for it. Besides cooking, I also enjoy gardening and needlework.
- 8 cups chopped tart apples
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained-reserve juice
- 2 cups seedless green grapes
- 1 to 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 cups toasted pecans
- reserved DOLE® Canned 100% Pineapple Juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup mayonnaise or 1/2 cup reduced-calorie mayonnaise and 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1. Make dressing first by combining the reserved pineapple juice, butter, sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Heat to boiling. Combine the cornstarch and water to make a smooth paste; add to the hot mixture; cook until thick and smooth. Chill completely before stirring in mayonnaise/yogurt. Combine apples, pineapple chunks, grapes and poppy seeds in large glass bowl. Add chilled dressing; refrigerate until time to serve. Stir in pecans right before serving for maximum crunchiness. Yield: 16 servings.
3/4 cup: 206 calories, 14g fat (0 saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 fat, 1-1/2 fruit.
Reviews for Fresh Apple Salad
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC