Fresh Apple Salad Recipe
This salad is a perfect fall dish that always gets rave reviews. I clipped the recipe out of a newspaper years ago. Now I find myself preparing it whenever company is coming over—or anytime that my husband asks for it. Besides cooking, I also enjoy gardening and needlework.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling YIELD:16 servings
- 8 cups chopped tart apples
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained-reserve juice
- 2 cups seedless green grapes
- 1 to 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 cups toasted pecans
- Reserved pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup mayonnaise or 1/2 cup reduced-calorie mayonnaise and 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1. Make dressing first by combining the reserved pineapple juice, butter, sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Heat to boiling. Combine the cornstarch and water to make a smooth paste; add to the hot mixture; cook until thick and smooth. Chill completely before stirring in mayonnaise/yogurt. Combine apples, pineapple chunks, grapes and poppy seeds in large glass bowl. Add chilled dressing; refrigerate until time to serve. Stir in pecans right before serving for maximum crunchiness. Yield: 16 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving equals 1-1/2 fruits, 3 fats; also, 206 calories, 86 mg sodium, 12 mg cholesterol, 22 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm protein, 14 gm fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC