I've had this recipe for years and make it often since Michigan has an abundance of apples. The caramel sauce is a special touch, especially when serving guests. —Mrs. Karl Zank, Sand Lake, Michigan
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream or evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in apples and walnuts.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for caramel sauce, combine brown sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 3 minutes. Serve cake warm or cold with warm caramel sauce. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Fresh Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p77
Reviews for Fresh Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review