- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream or evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in apples and walnuts.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for caramel sauce, combine brown sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 3 minutes. Serve cake warm or cold with warm caramel sauce. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Fresh Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce
Sort By :
This cake is so moist and delicious. We didn't even make the sauce . it was devoured in one day. The batter is very thick, but it was fine. Can't wait to make this again. It was a big hit.
What is even better on this cake is Lemon sauce. Just make up box of lemon pudding mix. Great on Apple Cake or Gingerbread.
Really easy to make, everyone loved it and the caramel sauce goes so good on many things!
Made this tonight for a Men's and Women's Fellowship at our Church. It was delicious and the caramel sauce added that special touch to it. Wasn't overly sweet and the cake was very moist. It will be a keeper and be made often.