- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jar (24 ounces) tomato basil pasta sauce
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 pound fresh littleneck clams
- 1 pound fresh mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound bay scallops
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- In a Dutch oven, saute garlic in oil until tender. Add the pasta sauce, clam juice, wine, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the clams, mussels and shrimp. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in scallops and spinach; cook 5 to 7 minutes longer or until clams and mussels open, shrimp turn pink and scallops are opaque. Discard any unopened clams or mussels. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Fresh and Spicy Cioppino(3)
Sort By :
Absolutely fabulous! Used cayenne pepper instead of crushed red pepper for a little kick.
I had never made Cioppino before so I didn't have anything to compare it to but I thought it was really good and it was so easy. Usually I try and follow the recipe the first time before tweaking it. But I was making this for my stepson so I left out the spinach and I also diluted the broth because I was afraid it might be to much tomato with the pasta sauce. So, I added a full can of chicken broth and probably 3/4 cup water instead of 1/4. It was a hit and I would definitely make it again.
This was the Best I have ever made !!!!
This was very easy and delicious...just the right amount of heat ....Thanks for the recipe,this is a keeper !!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Seafood Recipes >
- Seafood Soup Recipes >