French Toast with Crushed Apple Sauce Recipe
Heading out to a morning parade or festival? My handy French toast sticks make great on-the-go breakfasts—complete with an apple dipping sauce. Leftovers freeze well, too. —Cindy Kerschner, Schnecksville, Pennsylvania
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- FRENCH TOAST:
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 loaf (1 pound) country bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- Ground cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, combine the juice, apple, brown sugar and butter; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 12-15 minutes or until apple is tender, stirring occasionally. Mash apple to desired consistency; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla. In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Dip both sides of bread in egg mixture, allowing each side to soak for 30 seconds.
- Place in skillet; lightly sprinkle with cinnamon. Toast each side until golden brown. Repeat with remaining butter and bread.
- Cut French toast into 1-in. strips; serve with sauce. Yield: 8 servings (1 cup sauce).
Originally published as French Toast with Crushed Apple Sauce in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p220
Reviews for French Toast with Crushed Apple Sauce(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- French Toast Recipes >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Kids Breakfast Recipes >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Memorial Day Recipes >