French Toast with Blueberries Recipe
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash pepper
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1. In a shallow bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Dip both sides of each slice of bread in egg mixture. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook bread over medium-high heat for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- 2. In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat blueberries until warmed. Serve over French toast. Yield: 4 servings.
2 slices French toast with 1/4 cup blueberries equals 210 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 503 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fruit.