French Toast Sticks
These French toast sticks are handy to have in the freezer for a hearty breakfast in an instant. They're great for buffets because they can be eaten on the go. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + freezing Bake: 20 min.
- 6 slices day-old Texas toast
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes, optional
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Maple syrup
- Cut each piece of bread into thirds; place in an ungreased 13-in. x
- 9-in. dish. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla
- and cinnamon. Pour over bread; soak for 2 minutes, turning once.
- Coat bread with cornflake crumbs on all sides if desired.
- Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Freeze until
- firm, about 45 minutes. Transfer to an airtight container or
- resealable freezer bag and store in the freezer.
- To use frozen French toast sticks: Place desired number on a greased
- baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 8 minutes. Turn; bake 10-12
- minutes longer or until golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners'
- sugar if desired. Serve with syrup. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.