French Toast for Two with Apple Topping Recipe
- 1 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- Maple syrup, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the apple, brown sugar and cinnamon in 1 tablespoon butter until apple is tender.
- 2. In a shallow bowl, whisk the egg, milk and vanilla. Dip both sides of bread in egg mixture.
- 3. In a large skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Cook bread on both sides until golden brown. Serve with apple mixture and maple syrup if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
2 slices with 1/4 cup apples: 219 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 0 fruit, 1 fat.
Reviews for French Toast for Two with Apple Topping
"Fantastic! I also added a pinch of nutmeg to the apples."
"This recipe tasted good. I doubled the recipe and used wheat sandwich bread instead of French bread."
"This is a 5 star recipe for my entire family and my youngest child requests it at least once a week."
"Delicious. Will make double the apple topping as it is so good and didn't last long. May use the apple recipe for dessert toppings as well. Restaurant quality. Thanks for sharing :)"