French Toast Custard Recipe
I usually make this dish for brunch, but it's also wonderful for breakfast or dinner. Guests have said it just melts in their mouth.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + cooling YIELD:8-10 servings
- 8 to 10 slices day-old French bread (1 inch thick)
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. Brush both sides of bread with butter; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, beat eggs and yolks. Add milk, cream, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg; mix well. Pour over the bread slices. Cover and chill overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before serving. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 310 calories, 21 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 185 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC