- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- MAPLE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Dash salt
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 17-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter and shortening until fluffy. Beat in maple syrup and salt. Add confectioners’ sugar; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Sprinkle with bacon if desired. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for French Toast Cupcakes
"These yummy looking cupcakes are so moist. The bacon is what makes the recipe in my opinion. I took a cupcake to my Mother-in-law while visiting her. She liked them so much she asked for the recipe. I used 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg since I don't care a lot for the taste. A little tip - the batter is very thin, not like most cupcake recipes that I have made."
"The cupcakes themselves were mouthwatering! I made 3 dozen of them for my co-workers and they were gone in minutes. However I could not get the frosting to set right at all. I tried adding more sugar, cornstarch, and egg white. Nothing I did would thicken it up. It tasted great but it was a runny mess. After 3 or 4 attempts I gave up made a basic vanilla butter cream and added maple syrup"
"Yum! Just made these. They are super light, tender, delicious. Taste like a delicate spice cake. For some reason my frosting was a bit grainy even though I whipped a lot and it tasted mostly of powdered sugar so I added a little kefir cheese (think cream cheese). It contrasts nice with the sweet cake. Next time I will cut down on the sugar in both frosting and cake. The bacon is nice but the are good without it or even without frosting. My favorite would be a browned butter glaze."
"My boyfriend said these were by far the best cupcakes I've made in the past 6 months. I have to agree with him. It's just an awesome recipe. The ingredients just complimented each other so well. I will probably make them again tomorrow."
"These cupcakes are so good. My family thought they would be great for breakfast."