- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Maple syrup, optional
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Dot with butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with maple syrup if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for French Toast Casserole
Sort By :
"This was good but was soggy/moist in the middle. Next time I will try in one pan size bigger. Also, be sure to add extra topping as this adds extra flavor. This was very forgiving with being able to stay in the oven longer to stay warm while rest of meal was finished."
"Loved it! Will make again."
"Salty, gross, soggy in the middle. Very unhappy with this recipe."
"My family loved it, can't wait to have it again."
"We were expecting a family guest for the weekend, and I came across this recipe. Because of the advance prep, I decided to make and refrigerate it before she arrived. It worked out perfectly because in the morning, all I had to do was pop it into the oven leaving plenty of time to wake up (and catch up) over coffee. It was a big hit to and she left with the recipe!"