- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Maple syrup, optional
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Dot with butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with maple syrup if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for French Toast Casserole
Sort By :
"Loved it! Will make again."
"Salty, gross, soggy in the middle. Very unhappy with this recipe."
"My family loved it, can't wait to have it again."
"We were expecting a family guest for the weekend, and I came across this recipe. Because of the advance prep, I decided to make and refrigerate it before she arrived. It worked out perfectly because in the morning, all I had to do was pop it into the oven leaving plenty of time to wake up (and catch up) over coffee. It was a big hit to and she left with the recipe!"
"First recipe I've made from Taste of Home that I could not recommend, nor will make again...extremely bland. I have a couple of other recipes that are much better and just as simple; guess I'll stick to those!"