- 12 slices day-old French bread (1 inch thick)
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Arrange bread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, 3/4 cup brown sugar, vanilla and nutmeg; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Sprinkle pecans over egg mixture. Combine butter and remaining sugar; drizzle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with blueberries. Bake 10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for French Toast Bake
Sort By :
"Delicious easy recipe"
"Good and easy recipe. But i feel that the egg mixture is little less. May be 8 eggs and 4 cups milk? I used half a challah loaf but the mixture did not immerse the bread."
"I've made this for Christmas Brunch 2 years in a row. This will be the 3rd year as I've had many requests for it. The entire family loves it - great recipe and can be conveniently made ahead."
"I made this recipe twice already.Its really good with vanilla ice cream and custard. Thumbs up"
"I made this for Christmas morning and although everyone really liked the flavor, the bottom was soggy to the point that you could pour out a lot of extra liquid and the tops of the bread was so crunchy hard that it was almost inedible. I had to stand the bread up to get it all to fit in the pan so that may have a lot to do with it. Good flavor but I will continue to search for another similar recipe."