French Sweet Onion Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 large sweet onions, sliced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-2/3 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups apple cider or juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 7 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 3/4 cup grated reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven or large kettle, melt butter. Add olive oil and onions. Cover and cook over low heat until onions are soft, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the beef broth, water, cider or juice, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- 2. Meanwhile, arrange bread on a broiler pan; broil until each side is golden brown. Ladle soup into individual ovenproof soup bowls. Float a slice of bread in each bowl and sprinkle with Swiss cheese and top with Parmesan cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately. Yield: 7 servings.
1-1/4 cups soup with 1 slice of cheese-topped bread equals 256 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 483 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.