French Silk Pie Recipe
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- Whipped cream and chocolate curls, optional
- 1. Cut pastry sheet in half. Repackage and refrigerate one half for another use. On a lightly floured surface, roll out remaining half into an 8-in. circle. Transfer to a 7-in. pie plate; flute edges.
- 2. Line shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 4 minutes. Remove foil; bake 2 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and eggs until well blended. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Stir in chocolate and vanilla until smooth. Cool to lukewarm (90°), stirring occasionally.
- 4. In a small bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add cooled chocolate mixture; beat on high speed for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- 5. In another large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture.
- 6. Pour into crust. Chill for at least 6 hours before serving. Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate curls if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece (calculated without whipped cream and chocolate curls) equals 450 calories, 33 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 139 mg cholesterol, 223 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.