French Quarter Cheese Spread Recipe
Topped with toasty pecans, this sweet-and-savory cheese ball makes a festive hostess gift for holiday parties. Says Heidi: “It’s always a hit; there’s never anything left over, and everyone asks for the recipe.” At home, make it ahead of time for convenience, then bring to room temp and serve. Heidi Blaine Hadburg - Safety Harbor, FL
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- Assorted crackers
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, onion and garlic. Transfer to a serving plate; shape into a 6-in. disk. Set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in pecans.
- 3. Cool slightly. Spoon over cheese mixture. Serve with crackers. Yield: 8 servings.
1/4 cup (calculated without crackers) equals 280 calories, 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 138 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC