French Peas with Water Chestnuts
This is a recipe I revised to include some things our family likes. We grow our own peas for this dish, and my family really loves it!
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 cup finely shredded lettuce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- Dash pepper
- Cook peas according to package directions. Meanwhile, in another
- saucepan, cook onions and lettuce in oil over low heat for 5
- minutes. Combine flour with water until smooth. Stir into onion
- mixture: cook and stir until thickened.
- Drain peas and add to onion mixture along with the water chestnuts
- and pepper; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving equals 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat, also, 54 calories, 48 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 8 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm protein, 2 gm fat.