French Peas Recipe
Bright green and festive for Easter, this side dish has a slightly sweet flavor everyone will favor. Water chestnuts add a nice crunch. "A friend shared this tasty recipe," pens Pat Walter from Pine Island, Minnesota. "It's a different way to present peas."
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- In a large saucepan, saute water chestnuts and onion in butter until onion is tender. Stir in the flour, sugar and salt until blended. Gradually add milk; stir in peas. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until peas are tender and sauce is slightly thickened. Add lettuce; cook until lettuce is wilted. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as French Peas in Country Woman March/April 2002, p40
Reviews for French Peas(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review