French Onion Tomato Soup
"Tomato juice gives extra flavor to this wonderful soup that is so quick and easy to prepare," comments Clara Honeyager of Mukwonago, Wisconsin. "I found the recipe many years ago in a tomato recipe book of my mother's and have shared it with many people."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 6 slices French bread, toasted
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in butter until tender.
- Add the tomato juice, bouillon, lemon juice, parsley and brown
- sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10
- minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle soup into 10-oz. ovenproof soup bowls or ramekins. Top with
- French bread; sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for
- 2-3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.