French Onion Tomato Soup Recipe
"Tomato juice gives extra flavor to this wonderful soup that is so quick and easy to prepare," comments Clara Honeyager of Mukwonago, Wisconsin. "I found the recipe many years ago in a tomato recipe book of my mother's and have shared it with many people."
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 6 slices French bread, toasted
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in butter until tender. Add the tomato juice, bouillon, lemon juice, parsley and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle soup into 10-oz. ovenproof soup bowls or ramekins. Top with French bread; sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as French Onion Tomato Soup in Taste of Home October/November 2001, p18
Reviews for French Onion Tomato Soup(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 12, 2010
Very good soup recipe. I made this with the Goal Line Chicken Salad in the same issue.