French Onion Soup Recipe
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 cups water
- 8 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick), buttered and toasted
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 1. In a large covered saucepan, cook onions and garlic in butter over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally. Add water, bouillon and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2. Ladle hot soup into six ovenproof bowls. Top each with a piece of French bread. Cut each slice of cheese in half and place over the bread. Broil until cheese melts. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 244 calories, 15g fat (10g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 1387mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for French Onion Soup
"Really delicious and so simple to make."
"I subbed beef stock (32oz) for bullion and used sweet onions!! Delish!!!"
"So good! Great for soothing the thought!"
"Not great. Way too much bouillon making it way too salty! Also, onions are not truly "French Onion soup" caramelized. There are a bunch of easy, better recipes out there. There is even a recipe for caramelizing onions in a crock pot for easy recipes, just stir every 30 to 45 minutes, no babysitting the onions."
"Perfect for this cold weather"
"The soup is good but 1,387 mg of sodium (salt) is 1500 mg per day. I used low sodium beef broth which has 440 mg per 1 cup serving."
"Excellent! This was the easiest French Onion soup to make and so far my favorite. i made a half batch - instead of water & bouillon, i used a can of low sodium Campbell's beef broth plus a can of water (that made 3 cups)."
"This is amazing! I've tried several recipes that include more ingredients and were trickier to prepare. However, this is truly simple and the best French Onion soup recipe I've tried. I did boost the garlic to 2 cloves and used 4 cups of low sodium beef broth plus 2 cups of water and 2 beef bullion cubes. Thanks for this recipe!"