French Onion Soup Recipe
Seven-year-old daughter Heather and I enjoy spending time together cooking, but our days are busy, so we appreciate quick and tasty recipes like this one. Hot and delicious, this soup hits the spot for lunch or dinner. -Sandra Chambers, Carthage, Mississippi
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 cups water
- 8 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick), buttered and toasted
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 1. In a large covered saucepan, cook onions and garlic in butter over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally. Add water, bouillon and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2. Ladle hot soup into six ovenproof bowls. Top each with a piece of French bread. Cut each slice of cheese in half and place over the bread. Broil until cheese melts. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 244 calories, 15 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 1,387 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC