French Onion Soup with Swiss-Topped Toast Recipe
- 3 pounds yellow onions
- 1 pound sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or 12 ounces vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter and oil until tender. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 1 hour or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in the thyme, brown sugar and vinegar.
- 2. Combine the flour and broth until blended. Gradually stir into onion mixture. Stir in the beer, wine, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brandy, pepper, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, place bread on a baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2 minutes on each side or until toasted. Top each with a cheese slice; broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Ladle soup into bowls; garnish with cheese-topped toast. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup with 1 bread slice with cheese: 377 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 875mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 6g fiber), 12g protein
Reviews for French Onion Soup with Swiss-Topped Toast
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.