- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and sugar in 3 tablespoons of butter until golden brown. Stir in the flour, pepper and nutmeg until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt remaining butter; add bread. Cook until golden brown on both sides. Ladle soup into two oven-proof bowls. Place a slice of cheese in each bowl; top with bread and remaining cheese. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for French Onion Soup with Provalone
"It was delicious! This flavorful soup is definatly in my "Make it again" Book."
"this was good but i didn't care for the nutmeg flavor in it. would skip that ingredient next time."
"Definitely restaurant quality! thank you for sharing. We're serving it to guests at the next opportunity! Awesome!"
"I love this recipe. It's quick and easy, and above all, taste's great."