- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and sugar in 3 tablespoons of butter until golden brown. Stir in the flour, pepper and nutmeg until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt remaining butter; add bread. Cook until golden brown on both sides. Ladle soup into two oven-proof bowls. Place a slice of cheese in each bowl; top with bread and remaining cheese. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for French Onion Soup with Provalone
"It was delicious! This flavorful soup is definatly in my "Make it again" Book."
"this was good but i didn't care for the nutmeg flavor in it. would skip that ingredient next time."
"Definitely restaurant quality! thank you for sharing. We're serving it to guests at the next opportunity! Awesome!"