I got the idea for how to make this soup after I went to a brewhouse restaurant that put ale in their gravy. I make this every time the weather starts to cool down in the fall—it's comfort food for the soul. —Crystal Holsinger, Surprise, Arizona
Featured In: 25 Soups to Keep You Warm This Fall
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) pale ale or additional beef broth
- 18 slices French bread baguette (1/4 inch thick)
- 12 slices Muenster or cheddar cheese
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until onions are tender.
- Ladle soup into six broiler-safe 16-oz. ramekins. Top each with three slices of bread and two slices of cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from heat 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as French Onion Soup with Meatballs in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2014, p79
Reviews for French Onion Soup with Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review