French Onion Soup with French Bread Toast Recipe
I got this savory recipe from a co-worker my first year out of college. It's been a family favorite ever since. --Janaan Cunningham
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 pounds onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices French bread, toasted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, melt butter. Add onions and sugar; cook over low heat until lightly browned, about 1 hour.
- 2. Sprinkle flour over onions and stir until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Add the water, salt, dried onion, bouillon, garlic salt and pepper.
- 3. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 4. Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top with a slice of toasted bread; sprinkle with cheese. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 346 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 1,122 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC