French Onion Soup
It's hard to believe something this delightful came from a slow cooker! Topped with a slice of French bread and provolone cheese, individual servings are sure to be enjoyed by everyone at your dinner table. —Kris Ritter, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick), toasted
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Place onions and butter in a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker coated with
- cooking spray. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until onions are
- tender. Stir in the broth, sherry and pepper. Cover and cook 2-3
- hours longer or until heated through.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of toast and
- cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese
- is melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 267 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 1,324 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 11 g protein.