French Onion Soup
When my husband asked me to make this soup for a dinner at church, I prepared a huge pot and counted on having some left for us. But he came home with an empty pan and many requests for the recipe!Lise Thomson, Magrath, Alberta
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 6 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 6 cups beef broth
- 8 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick), toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan or Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onions, sugar and pepper in oil until
- onions are softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring
- occasionally, for 30 minutes or until onions are a deep golden
- brown. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 30 minutes.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of French
- bread; sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from heat until cheese is
- melted. Serve immediately.
- Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 330 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 1,092 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein.