French Onion Portobello Brisket Recipe
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 1-3/4 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Fresh sage, optional
- 1. Cut brisket in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in butter for 3-5 minutes or until onion is crisp-tender. Add the soup, wine and pepper; mix well.
- 3. Pour mushroom mixture over beef. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Garnish with sage if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
5 ounce-weight: 301 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 324mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 42g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for French Onion Portobello Brisket
"This was awesome! Just a suggestion: I took the leftover brisket & shredded it. Over medium heat in a dutch oven, I cooked a 1/4 cup of diced green pepper & 1/4 cup of diced onion in a tablespoon of butter until tender. Reduce heat & add the shredded meat & stir until heated. Add four slices of provel cheese, & mix until melted in the meat mixture. Serve on hoagie rolls. YUM!"
"I know the recipe says fresh brisket, but can I use a corned brisket instead? What's the difference?"
"This turned out quite nicely. I had to use a smaller flank steak instead of brisket, so it was pretty lean. Still, it was nice and tender. I did reduce the cooking time to 6 hours given the smaller cut of beef. I also used beef broth, but think the wine would give it even more flavor. This will become a regular dish around here."
"This was very easy to make and was delicious the next night also."
"This recipe is both delicious and easy. I will definitely make again."