French Onion Portobello Brisket Recipe
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 1-3/4 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Fresh sage, optional
- 1. Cut brisket in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in butter for 3-5 minutes or until onion is crisp-tender. Add the soup, wine and pepper; mix well.
- 3. Pour mushroom mixture over beef. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Garnish with sage if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
5 ounces cooked beef with 1/3 cup gravy equals 301 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 324 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 42 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.