French Onion Portobello Brisket Recipe
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 1-3/4 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Fresh sage, optional
- Cut brisket in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in butter for 3-5 minutes or until onion is crisp-tender. Add the soup, wine and pepper; mix well.
- Pour mushroom mixture over beef. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Garnish with sage if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for French Onion Portobello Brisket
Sort By :
This was awesome! Just a suggestion: I took the leftover brisket & shredded it. Over medium heat in a dutch oven, I cooked a 1/4 cup of diced green pepper & 1/4 cup of diced onion in a tablespoon of butter until tender. Reduce heat & add the shredded meat & stir until heated. Add four slices of provel cheese, & mix until melted in the meat mixture. Serve on hoagie rolls. YUM!
@anneej01: NO! Corned beef is a cured meat and has an entirely different taste from a "non-corned" brisket. You could probably adapt this recipe for another cut of beef if you can find the one indicated.
Overall a very good recipe.... I didn't have the french onion soup; or a packet of onion soup mix.... so it was a little bland. But next time I make it I will make sure to have those items on hand!! We enjoyed it; along with our black-eyed peas!! Happy New Year!
I know the recipe says fresh brisket, but can I use a corned brisket instead? What's the difference?
This turned out quite nicely. I had to use a smaller flank steak instead of brisket, so it was pretty lean. Still, it was nice and tender. I did reduce the cooking time to 6 hours given the smaller cut of beef. I also used beef broth, but think the wine would give it even more flavor. This will become a regular dish around here.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Brisket Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >