“I use this recipe when I go to winter potlucks and want something everyone will love. Though I have seen kids who scrape away the mushrooms and onion, they still rave about how the meat tastes and gobble it right up.” —Aysha Schurman, Ammon, Idaho
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 1-3/4 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Fresh sage, optional
- Cut brisket in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in butter for 3-5 minutes or until onion is crisp-tender. Add the soup, wine and pepper; mix well.
- Pour mushroom mixture over beef. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Garnish with sage if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as French Onion Portobello Brisket in Simple & Delicious December/January 2011, p17
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for French Onion Portobello Brisket
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review