French Onion Pizza au Gratin Recipe
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, optional
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 pound thickly sliced deli roast beef, coarsely chopped
- 1 prebaked 12-inch pizza crust
- 3/4 cup French onion dip
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion with brown sugar in 1 tablespoon oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Stir in vinegar and garlic. Remove from the heat; add bourbon if desired. Continue cooking until liquid is nearly evaporated.
- 2. In another skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining oil until tender; add roast beef and heat through.
- 3. Place crust on a pizza pan; spread with French onion dip. Layer with mozzarella cheese, onion mixture, red pepper, mushroom mixture and Gruyere cheese.
- 4. Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with rosemary. Yield: 8 slices.
1 slice equals 327 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 585 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Reviews for French Onion Pizza au Gratin
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.