- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, optional
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 pound thickly sliced deli roast beef, coarsely chopped
- 1 prebaked 12-inch pizza crust
- 3/4 cup French onion dip
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- In a large skillet, saute onion with brown sugar in 1 tablespoon oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Stir in vinegar and garlic. Remove from the heat; add bourbon if desired. Continue cooking until liquid is nearly evaporated.
- In another skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining oil until tender; add roast beef and heat through.
- Place crust on a pizza pan; spread with French onion dip. Layer with mozzarella cheese, onion mixture, red pepper, mushroom mixture and Gruyere cheese.
- Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with rosemary. Yield: 8 slices.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for French Onion Pizza au Gratin
Sort By :
"This pizza was fantastic. I dont like onions but wanted to try it because my husband loves onions. I used a red onion and the flavor was so sweet and zesty. We also made a homemade pizza crust. Would eat this once a week if I could!!"
"This pizza was truly amazing! (I didn't add the bourbon) I will make this again and again. Perfect for a dinner party app. or family main course!"
"We apologize for omitting the baking temp in this recipe. It will be corrected here soon. The pizza should be baked at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes.Taste of Home Test Kitchen"
"I'm making this for the super bowl & the recipe does not have an oven temp."
"My family loved this pizza, the leftovers were even good cold."