“I love a hot bowl of French onion soup and am also a fan of pizza after busy workdays. This recipe combines classic onion soup ingredients with everyday pizza staples."—Bonnie Long, Lakewood, Ohio
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, optional
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 pound thickly sliced deli roast beef, coarsely chopped
- 1 prebaked 12-inch pizza crust
- 3/4 cup French onion dip
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- In a large skillet, saute onion with brown sugar in 1 tablespoon oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Stir in vinegar and garlic. Remove from the heat; add bourbon if desired. Continue cooking until liquid is nearly evaporated.
- In another skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining oil until tender; add roast beef and heat through.
- Place crust on a pizza pan; spread with French onion dip. Layer with mozzarella cheese, onion mixture, red pepper, mushroom mixture and Gruyere cheese.
- Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with rosemary. Yield: 8 slices.
Originally published as French Onion Pizza au Gratin in Taste of Home February/March 2011, p65
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for French Onion Pizza au Gratin
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review