French Onion Mashed Potatoes Recipe
From Dansville, Illinois, Lori Piatt shares the secret behind her savory spuds. "I dress up instant potato flakes with cream cheese, French onion dip and garlic salt," she explains. "I'm always elected to bring these rich potatoes to family get-togethers."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + stianding YIELD:8-10 servings
- 3 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 carton (8 ounces) French onion dip
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring the water, milk, 1/3 cup butter and salt to a boil. Remove from the heat; gradually stir in potato flakes. In a bowl, combine cream cheese and onion dip. Stir into potatoes. Add garlic salt.
- 2. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over the top. Sprinkle with paprika. bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 307 calories, 19 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 889 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC