French Onion Garlic Bread Recipe
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, sliced
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add the broth, 1 garlic clove and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine butter and remaining garlic; stir until creamy. Spread over bread slices. Place on a greased 15-in. x 10-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- 3. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; top with onion mixture and Gruyere cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 323 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 452 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Reviews for French Onion Garlic Bread
"This bread is delicious!"
"This bread was soooooo good! I made it for a Christmas party and it was a huge hit. I can't wait to make it again."
"This looks absolutely delicious. I can't wait to try it."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.