French Onion Garlic Bread Recipe
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, sliced
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add the broth, 1 garlic clove and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine butter and remaining garlic; stir until creamy. Spread over bread slices. Place on a greased 15-in. x 10-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- 3. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; top with onion mixture and Gruyere cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 323 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein
Reviews for French Onion Garlic Bread
"This bread is delicious!"
"This bread was soooooo good! I made it for a Christmas party and it was a huge hit. I can't wait to make it again."
"This looks absolutely delicious. I can't wait to try it."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.