French Onion Casserole
Fans of French onion soup will gobble up this comforting casserole. The 30-minute side dish would be a nice accompaniment to beef entrees.—Margaret McClatchey, Loveland, Colorado
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 medium onions, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup sherry or additional beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups salad croutons
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 3 tablespoons butter until
- tender. Stir in flour and pepper until blended; gradually add broth
- and sherry. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Transfer to an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan.
- In a microwave, melt remaining butter. Add croutons; toss to coat.
- Spoon over onion mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is
- melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 205 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 279 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.