French Onion Casserole Recipe
Fans of French onion soup will gobble up this comforting casserole. The 30-minute side dish would be a nice accompaniment to beef entrees.—Margaret McClatchey, Loveland, Colorado
- 8 medium onions, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup sherry or additional beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups salad croutons
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in flour and pepper until blended; gradually add broth and sherry. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan.
- 2. In a microwave, melt remaining butter. Add croutons; toss to coat. Spoon over onion mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- 3. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
1/2 cup: 205 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein .
Reviews for French Onion Casserole
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC