- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 6 ounces beef tenderloin or top sirloin steak (1 inch thick)
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 can (10 ounces) beef au jus gravy
- Allow dough to rise until nearly doubled. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onion in butter for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. With a slotted spoon, remove onion from skillet; set aside.
- Cut beef into 1/8-in. slices; add to skillet. Increase heat to medium; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until browned. Return onion to skillet. Stir in flour, brown sugar, cumin, salt and pepper. Add broth; cook and stir for 6-8 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat.
- Punch dough down; roll on a floured surface to a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Place on a greased baking sheet. Place beef mixture down the center of the long side of the dough. Sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese and 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- With a sharp knife, cut dough on each side of beef filling into 1-3/4-in. wide strips. Fold strips alternately across filling. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Heat gravy; serve as a dipping sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as French Onion-Beef Strudel in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p83
Reviews for French Onion-Beef Strudel
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 23, 2013
"This one of my family's favorite. My son always asks for it for his birthday meal. It's great."
Reviewed Mar. 22, 2012
"This is a family favorite. I like to use tenderloin or extra tender cuts of beef for extra special results."