- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 6 ounces beef tenderloin or top sirloin steak (1 inch thick)
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 can (10 ounces) beef au jus gravy
- Allow dough to rise until nearly doubled. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onion in butter for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. With a slotted spoon, remove onion from skillet; set aside.
- Cut beef into 1/8-in. slices; add to skillet. Increase heat to medium; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until browned. Return onion to skillet. Stir in flour, brown sugar, cumin, salt and pepper. Add broth; cook and stir for 6-8 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat.
- Punch dough down; roll on a floured surface to a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Place on a greased baking sheet. Place beef mixture down the center of the long side of the dough. Sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese and 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- With a sharp knife, cut dough on each side of beef filling into 1-3/4-in. wide strips. Fold strips alternately across filling. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Heat gravy; serve as a dipping sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for French Onion-Beef Strudel
Sort By :
This one of my family's favorite. My son always asks for it for his birthday meal. It's great.
This is a family favorite. I like to use tenderloin or extra tender cuts of beef for extra special results.