French Onion Bake Recipe
This is a casserole version of my favorite winter soup, French onion. It always receives raves at potlucks and family gatherings.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 4 large white or yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1/4 cup sherry, optional
- 4 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir in salt and pepper. Add the consomme and sherry if desired; cook and stir until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- 2. Pour into a shallow 2-qt. baking dish or individual baking dishes. Spread remaining butter on both sides of bread; place on a baking sheet.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Place bread on top of onion mixture; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 378 calories, 21 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 1,201 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC