- 4 large white or yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1/4 cup sherry, optional
- 4 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir in salt and pepper. Add the consomme and sherry if desired; cook and stir until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Pour into a shallow 2-qt. baking dish or individual baking dishes. Spread remaining butter on both sides of bread; place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Place bread on top of onion mixture; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as French Onion Bake in Country Extra January 1995, p47
Reviews for French Onion Bake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review