Have grill masters on your Christmas list? Consider giving them a special homemade mustard flavored with maple syrup, allspice and turmeric. Everyone just loves it. —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Featured In: 40 Condiments You Can Make at Home
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Place allspice on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string. In a small bowl, mix 3/4 cup water, vinegar and maple syrup until blended. In a small saucepan, mix flour, cornstarch, mustard, turmeric, salt and remaining water until smooth. Gradually whisk in vinegar mixture. Add spice bag; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Discard spice bag. Transfer to a covered container; cool slightly. Refrigerate until cold. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 month. Yield: 1 cup.
Originally published as French Mustard in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p184
Reviews for French Mustard
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review