French Meat Pie
Some time ago, when I was working at a newspaper, a co-worker happened to bring a meat pie for lunch. The aroma was familiar to me, and I asked for a taste. To my amazement, it was the same pie my grandmother used to serve when I was a youngster! I copied the recipe, and I have been enjoying French Meat Pie ever since. It's still delicious!
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 egg, beaten, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, pork and onion over medium heat until
- meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine potatoes and seasonings. Roll out half of
- pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate; trim pastry even with edge of
- plate. Fill with meat mixture.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling.
- Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with egg if
- desired. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Yield: 8 servings.