French Meat Pie Recipe
Some time ago, when I was working at a newspaper, a co-worker happened to bring a meat pie for lunch. The aroma was familiar to me, and I asked for a taste. To my amazement, it was the same pie my grandmother used to serve when I was a youngster! I copied the recipe, and I have been enjoying French Meat Pie ever since. It's still delicious!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 egg, beaten, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, pork and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine potatoes and seasonings. Roll out half of pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate; trim pastry even with edge of plate. Fill with meat mixture.
- 3. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with egg if desired. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC