- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 egg, beaten, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, pork and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine potatoes and seasonings. Roll out half of pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate; trim pastry even with edge of plate. Fill with meat mixture.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with egg if desired. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for French Meat Pie
Sort By :
"The version I grew up with is ground beef ,veal,pork mix with mashed potatoes add spices and onion celery either stuff in turkey or put in pie crusts... Many variations of this, but they are all good! French/ Canadian moms recipe..passed down..giving this one four stars"
"I am not French, so I do not know how the French pronounce Tourti?re, which this meat pie is called. I have not made this recipe, but one that had the pork, beef,onion, chopped celery, garlic, hot mashed potatoes, chicken broth, rosemary, sage, thyme, marjoram, S & P. This recipe was very good, but dry, so I made some homemade gravy & all loved it that way. They just spooned it over the piece of pie that they took. Will try this recipe next time & see the difference in the taste. Thanks & it would be nice if the magazine would put the pronunciation for a foreign word, so the cook could use the name when serving a new dish.Thanks"
"what do you do with the potatoes ? Do you mix it (the POTATOES with the meat the recipe doesn't say?"
"I only used pork & never put mashed pot. in it but I'll try this on for size!"
"I've made this many times in the past and have come up with some alterations. Instead of a whole onion, only use 1/2 onion. Also instead of the 2 tsp. Allspice, cut down to 1/4 tsp. to 1/2 tsp. Allspice can be an overpowering spice. Other than that very easy and very tasty."