- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 egg, beaten, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, pork and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine potatoes and seasonings. Roll out half of pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate; trim pastry even with edge of plate. Fill with meat mixture.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with egg if desired. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for French Meat Pie
"I tried this recipe as-is and when I tasted the meat mixture I found it to be flavorless and dry. Having just spent an hour making mashed potatoes and a double pie crust, I wanted to find a way to salvage the dish so I added about 4 oz of red wine to the meat and cooked it down, as well as 1/4 to 1/2 cup of marinara sauce to improve the color and the texture. I also salted and peppered again, liberally this time. It made a huge difference and tasted great! I then assembled the pie in the following order:-Bottom pie crust-Mashed potatoes layer-Meat mixture-about 2/3 cup shredded Vermont sharp cheddar-Top pie crust-Brushed with half and half instead of eggIt was a huge hit in my house both times I made it this way. Hope this helps others!"
"I am not French, so I do not know how the French pronounce Tourti?re, which this meat pie is called. I have not made this recipe, but one that had the pork, beef,onion, chopped celery, garlic, hot mashed potatoes, chicken broth, rosemary, sage, thyme, marjoram, S & P. This recipe was very good, but dry, so I made some homemade gravy & all loved it that way. They just spooned it over the piece of pie that they took. Will try this recipe next time & see the difference in the taste. Thanks & it would be nice if the magazine would put the pronunciation for a foreign word, so the cook could use the name when serving a new dish.Thanks"
"what do you do with the potatoes ? Do you mix it (the POTATOES with the meat the recipe doesn't say?"
"I only used pork & never put mashed pot. in it but I'll try this on for size!"
"I've made this many times in the past and have come up with some alterations. Instead of a whole onion, only use 1/2 onion. Also instead of the 2 tsp. Allspice, cut down to 1/4 tsp. to 1/2 tsp. Allspice can be an overpowering spice. Other than that very easy and very tasty."
"Best meat pie ever!"
"Would definitely make this again....Taste just like what my grandmother used to make!"
"i would think so, wouldn't you?"