Some time ago, a co-worker brought a meat pie to lunch. The aroma was familiar—and after one taste, I was amazed to discover it was the same pie my grandmother used to serve when I was a youngster! She shared the recipe, and I have been enjoying it ever since.—Rita Winterberger, Huson, Montana
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) mixed vegetables, drained
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, optional
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion until tender. Remove and set aside. Brown beef and pork together; drain. Combine onion, meat, potatoes, vegetables and seasonings.
- Line pie plate with pastry; fill with meat mixture. Top with crust; seal and flute edges. Make slits in top crust. Brush with egg if desired.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as French Meat Pie in Country Ground Beef 1993, p67
Reviews for French Meat and Vegetable Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review