French Meat and Vegetable Pie
Some time ago, a co-worker brought a meat pie to lunch. The aroma was familiarand after one taste, I was amazed to discover it was the same pie my grandmother used to serve when I was a youngster! She shared the recipe, and I have been enjoying it ever since.Rita Winterberger, Huson, Montana
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) mixed vegetables, drained
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten, optional
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion until tender.
- Remove and set aside. Brown beef and pork together; drain. Combine
- onion, meat, potatoes, vegetables and seasonings.
- Line pie plate with pastry; fill with meat mixture. Top with crust;
- seal and flute edges. Make slits in top crust. Brush with egg if
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 531 calories, 32 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 724 mg sodium,